Search This Blog

Sunday, May 13, 2012


Klang Gate Dam 'easy peasy' trail.



                                                 We didn't look tired at all.

I was in the midst of moving house and the tedious and back breaking task was just boring and also argument causing between me and Lilian. In between that, I did mentioned to some Low Yat forummers that I can guide them on a hike suitable for beginners. The easiest was Klang Gate Dam trail. The date set was 13th May.......... lucky it was not a Friday. Ha,ha.

The appointed time was 7.30 am and like clockwork they arrived just before 7.30 am. After some introductions we then drove into Kemensah village. We reached the same car park that I parked my car before and after changing into my hiking shoes, we shot off! The other two hikers namely Patrick and Jeffrey was new to hiking and I found out that there was no worries as they are fit as well. Jeffrey was the same sized as I am and at last, I can get a buddy on my hikes, ha,ha,ha.

                                  Jeffrey, my new buddy, same pace, same size.

After a while, I noticed that there was mangosteen trees and they were bearing fruits. I did not encountered any such trees the last time. I think I missed a fork! Slowly but surely as we hiked a familiar landmark came into view. The cross junction where we took a breather the last time. We came from the 3 o'clock direction the last time and this time we were coming from the 6 o'clock direction. No wonder I don't feel tired at all, ha,ha. It was a shorter route!

                                                Lots of mangosteen trees.

Behind us was four other hikers that folowed us as they were going to Tabor Extreme and they did know the direction. Problem was, neither do I. I can only guess from the huge boulder jutting out from the peak must be it and told them which direction it should be. I told them I was hiking to the lake only. They went off but after a while they rejoined us because they can't find the way. 

                           So serene and calm. Wish I have a bungalow beside this!

We reached the dam after a while and I noticed there was many fallen trees. There must be a lightning storm last night as I counted not less than 4 or 5 fallen trees. We took a 'five' at the lake and then proceeded to move out. Just a few steps from the cross junction, I saw a familiar group hiking towards me. Lilian gave a shriek, " Hello! " It was Azmie Burger with his entourage of 3 beauties. We stopped and chatted for a while. You know lah! The conversation between hikers. What else? Mountains and hills. " I have been this mountain lah, he's been that mountain lah, this one easy lah, that one hard lah!" , was the usual banter. We then bade goodbye and carried on.

                                                       Lightning Struck!

At the landmark junction the other group was resting and one of them lost his soles, ha,ha. Seems to see a lot of that lately. The last one was in Gunong Rajah lost by Ricardo. Many seems to under estimate the importance of a good pair of shoes. Even 'Adidas Kampong' is functional because of it's one piece construction, a 'monocoque', ha,ha. Nothing to fall off!

                                                     Which one is me???

I took the same route to get back to the car park, past a scenic route and also to hike higher and the highest point recorded was 265 meters asl. I then took the same smaller single trail passing an orchard post and also a stream or a creek. Durians were bearing fruits there. Must time myself to visit again during the durian fall. We came to the tarred road after some downhill hiking and the ground was wet. There were leeches, many of it. I think it was the rain last night.

After we reached the car park, the other group was already gone. They took the same way as they hiked up. I wonder what preparation they did to attempt Tabor Extreme. With the wrong shoes and without an experienced hiker who have been there. That's dangerous!

I checked with Jeffrey to see if he's OK and he okayed. Patrick was fitter so it's not a problem for him and he wanted to try Ulu Semangkok after I described the hill to him during our 'yum cha' at the MacDonalds in Jalan Ulu Klang. So, our next date is 20th May 2012 in Ulu Semangkok.

No comments:

Post a Comment