Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Taman Negara Dragon Slaying! Part 1





Another major event has past and now it is time to pen or rather 'blog' it down. This blog will serve more as a post-mortem to the ride and hopefully riders will become aware of situations that arises. Organizing events are not easy but the passion for rides and especially rides that were never done before is exciting though.

In actual, the plan to Taman Negara was already in plan since I started riding foldies. Off course, me and wife can't just do it then. We need more experience and skills riding not to mention the mentality and stamina to sustain the length and conditions of the ride. A fellow rider, a good friend, Encik Zolkaplee Ahmad has already did it but he did it ala 'touring style'. He rode from Kajang to the south, Kuala Klawang, then to Karak via Kuala Pilah and then to Temerloh and finally Jerantut and Taman Negara before doubling back to KL! Something I would never do, hahahaha!

Why? First we have to look at ourselves! I am a creature of comfort, I need my sleep and also double stressing my body is not fun for me. I may need the exercise but hurting my body in the course of exercising just doesn't compute in my mind. Just like hiking where I was active in before. I enjoyed the hikes but my knees were disintegrating before me.

Carrying the bikes to the jetty.

It was Zol who told me about the condition of Jerantut to Kuala Tahan road and from his info I gather that it is going to be hazardous for bikes. So, after a check in Google 3D, I saw another secondary road running parallel to the main trunk road. For that you need to cross from it's nearest place from Jerantut which was Kuala Tembeling. I finally did a 'recce' trip with my car and determined the route and also to secure the services of a boatman who is willing to accommodate the whim and fancies of a riding group. All that done, finally the day arrives!

The first group going off!

I kept confirming with the boatman almost every 3 to 5 days, making excuses of enquiring just to make sure. On the eventful morning of 21st June, all 28 riders were there. I went round, collecting the boat fare and paid the boatman. We all carried the bikes down a few flight of stairs and made our way to the jetty.


Carrying the bikes up the sandy banks of Pasir Tambang.

It took 3 trips for the boat to ferry us all across to the banks opposite. It was misty and cooling in the morning. From this bank, we can hear the laughter and din from the first group who have landed on the other bank. A handshake with 'Boroi' my boatman and we were off! Alas! one of the riders tyre was punctured! Before we even started off. There was another rider helping to change the tube so I went around chatting with other riders and taking snaps. That's lesson one, check the bike before a ride!  It could be a 'snake bite' from the spokes, a faulty rim tape etc. From there itself, I have wondered if the inner tubes she brings will suffice? Luckily, that was the only puncture from her on that trip.

Almost raring to go!

Later, we took a group photo and this is the only group photo that we took that was complete on the whole journey! I asked Cikgu' to give a small briefing and off we went. The most important message that needs to be address was our main regrouping point is a place called 'Labu Sentral'. The initial 'kampong' road was uneventful but a very pleasant ride. We were warming up and chatting while riding and at times 3 to 4 abreast but it is OK as the road is quite deserted. By the river banks, the road is a gradual undulating ride, nothing harsh.......yet! 13 kilometers down the road, we stopped at a small convenience store to refill our water bottle and I received a call from the boatman. There was another rider who have just arrived!


A lonely rider on a long winding road!


"Just Arrived" or JA was late. The boatman asked me what do we do with him? I asked him for solutions too. He can send JA to Labu Sentral by boat but it will cost JA RM200. Nope! So, if he still insists on riding, Boroi will send him over and he will try to catch up. That was what he choose to do.

Cikgu came over to me and told me that he don't want to lead as he can't catch up with the front pack. He was a bit flustered! Neither can I catch up with them too, so I just told Cikgu to let them go ahead. Slow riders, I can accommodate and sweep but fast riders, they have to take their own risk. In fact, organizers might have to be choosy on what kind of rides to include them. It is all about teamwork and also the term 'mentality of the herd' comes about. Why don't you ride alone or with a more appropriate rider who can match up to your speed? Because you need the security of the 'herd'. Then you must conform to the speed of the herd. 

The ladies not looking the least tired!

As we rode on, I received a call from a rider. On the phone she told me someone had a bad fall and she was lying unconscious in the middle of the road. Description was blurry on the spot but here's what happened.

She felled and till now we still don't know how she felled. A local guy on a motorcycle rode to the front pack and told them we have a casualty and two of them rushed back to the spot. Before they arrive, two other riders was already on the scene and carried her to the side. She was foaming on the mouth which means she's in trauma. They got the help of the locals to send them to the Clinic in Kuala Tahan. Her companion followed too and so the bikes and two riders were out of the ride. By this time we were actually in Labu Sentral. The funny thing is, we were ALL SUPPOSED to REGROUP in Labu Sentral. Guess many were affected by the sun, huh? Only the small group were there. I called up Boroi and he told me JA was already on his way.


Hungry riders crowding around the 'jagong' stall.

We rode on, assuming everyone except the fallen one is OK. At the junction where the 'kampong' road meets the main trunk road to Kuala Tahan, we saw the front pack gathering around a corn stall. We stopped too and took a rest. From here onwards, is the second harder half, 30 kilometers of harsh midday sun and busier road with lorries and tourist buses passing by. Also the peaks of the dragonbacks will be highers here. The rest in my next blog!

Part 2 click here!




1 comment:

  1. Great adventure!

    Its so important to ride as a pack for safety reasons!

    You are a great organiser & ride leader.

    Hope you will ride this route again :-)

    ReplyDelete