Search This Blog

Saturday, March 1, 2014

Penang Kayuh Kayuh Makan Day 1


From the depths of the blue, Chris Ng put up an invitation for a ride in Penang. Although there was a plan for us to do so, this was sudden. Proposed date was just a mere 6 days away! Alas, after the posting and comments of FB, the date was brought even earlier as train tickets was sold out.

Although our Penang riders was informed, Larry called me one night and we discussed the plans pro tempore. I relayed the message later to our organizer Chris. As the days counted, I have still not decided to use which bike. Finally I decided on the Dahon Dash P18 although the Dahon Speed P8 was the more realiable one. I serviced it again, installed the front bag hanger onto the handle bar, folded it and packed it.

On the way to KL Sentral.

The day finally arrived and Lilian sent me to the railway station. I was a bit early but I was not duly worried as watching humans is my favorite pastime. It was lunch time and getting a space with luggage this size was challenging. So, I just went up to Gate A (our boarding gate) and sat there. I was reading a magazine when Cikgu Chin called. He and Cikgu Li joined me and there was still ample time. Just 45 minutes before departure, Chris, KK and Wai Keat arrived. No hurry though as the train was delayed.

After huffing and puffing, we managed to secure our bikes in the luggage compartment inside the coach. It was not as easy as it seems. If you were to ask me to lug my folding bike to work daily, I rather walk the whole distance!

Unpacking and unfolding the bikes.

After a really boo...........rrrring train journey of 6 hours, the train rolled into Butterworth station. At least they should have some music in the train. The trains are old and derelict! Butterworth train station is still the same........in shambles! Larry wand Winson Gan and wife was there to greet us. I was especially grateful to Larry as to ride a bike and board the ferry was complicating! The tickets have to be bought inside the terminal just beside the ferry berthing! 


Larry guided us to the hotel and we checked in and left our bikes and luggage there. We later went to Macalister Road for supper. Chris Ng has already started his foodie status already. We practically filled the whole table. we even had a wonderful stone baked pizza and beer apart from the usual Penang hawker fare!

It was nice to get good hawker food even after midnight.

We laughed heartily and enjoyed every morsel of the food served at the outlet. Plans was discussed and we were already enjoying every minute of it and we haven't even started riding yet! Larry planned to take us riding in Balik Pulau tomorrow morning. Larry and Winson will ferry us to Balik Pulau bus terminal tomorrow morning. Appointed time was 6.30am and it was already 2.00am already. We were still drinking and stuffing food into our tummy.

See how happy beer and food made us!

Finally, we returned to our hotel and slumbered onto the bed at 3.00am. Imagine Larry who has to drive home and take a bath and then wake up an hour earlier than us to fetch us! Thank you Larry!

No comments:

Post a Comment