Search This Blog

Sunday, March 2, 2014

Penang Kayuh Kayuh Makan Day 3 Part 1




Like yesterday morning, we don't feel like waking up! After dragging everything, our faces, chins,tails and all, we are ready and pushed our bikes down. We were not even bothered to fold now! Larry was already in the lobby! I am really amazed with this very reliable guy!

After everyone was ready, awake I mean, we started riding. we were going for 'Ah Leng' char koay teow. But passing it, it's obvious he is not opened yet. Then we went for the next good food around there, Classic's " Hockien Mee ". We parked our bikes in an orderly manner and took a table inside.

Seriously, I won't come again. The service was not like before and so was the noodle. You can't say anything, you just wait.......... Whether the food justifies or not, it up to one and each one but I rather not go through the hassle of waiting 45 minutes for a noodle. The drinks were slow too. I think I had better 'Hockien' at the coffee shop beside the Rex theatre.


After breakfast, we rode to the Governor's official residence. Then onwards to Scotland Road and into York Road. This is also my childhood playing ground, especially the graveyard inside there. My childhood was spent swimming, flying kites, riding the masonry horses in the grave yard. I even played RC planes in there. I was never afraid of graveyards anyway, probably because of my childhood. In actual they are more peaceful!

We rode into Lorong Lumba Kuda from York Road which was not joined before but it is now. From here to Boundary Road. Here I had memories flashing in my mind. My friends house, the house of the girl I tried to date, the place I usually eat and wondering if my grandfather's shop is still there. (I never seen them since my parent's divorce 30 years ago). well, it was a good ride by or rather flash past.

We then turn into Jalan Air Itam and straight to Kek Lok Si temple. As usual the junction after the police station is a nightmare! We pass by the famous 'assam laksa' but it was still not opened yet. We took the road up to the Goddess of Mercy. I should have brought my Dahon Speed P8 which is shodded with 27 gears and easier to climb here. Admire Cikgu Li and Cikgu Chin though. There are just with 7 gears and also KK and Chris with 6 gears on their Bromptons.




The last part to the actual complex was a bit tough but we all managed. I took a stroll and a few pictures and I went near the parking attendant and sat there. I chatted with the attendant and Larry joined me later. The reat was busy 'camwhoring' around the temple. They actually spent an hour there!


I was at peace there, sitting and reminiscing the past. I just wondered if I will be this peaceful when I return here later this year to Penang. It's just funny, I keep going back to Penang and leave again but again keep harbouring thoughts of going back again. Plus this time, it will be the fourth time!

After they were satisfied with their 'cam whoring', Larry and myself did not hurry them as we were peacefully sitting there, we went for the 'You tube' made famous 'grandma's curry noodle'. We reached there in a short while, it was nearby actually. The crowd was crazy! Seems the little coffee kiosk was having doing brisk business with the 'Ah Mah' curry noodles opposite.




To make orders easier, I standardize all orders. We waited for our turn patiently and finally it was our turn. We collected and paid for 6 bowls and I had the usual 'pat poh peng' with it. My admiration for the 'Ah Mah' was her smile. She was smiling all the while and she was real busy. The noodle turned out to be quite good too. We ate quickly as there was others waiting for seats. You know! After a while of riding, I am quite used to people staring at me and we usually do have people staring at us riders. It was quite unsettling in the beginning.

We rode out back to the market and the 'assam laksa' stall was opened already. Wai Keat and Chris, mati mati wants to try and so we let them. The rest of us waited near the market under a shade and KK went and bought sugar cane juice for us. I went opposite for a mango while Cikgu went exploring again. He came back telling me there's a good 'koay teow th'ng' inside. Ah! yes, I remembered now. I ate there before but many many years ago.

The sun was again getting really hot on our backs. My GPS was recording temperatures like '39 degree C', just like yesterday afternoon. We rode fast back into the city center and KK andothers wanted to try the 'cendol'.


After the 'cendol' sessions, Larry left us as he has to go early. We are to meet later at 8.00pm for another night ride. I lead the way back to our hotel and we stopped by the Latvian artist place for a snoop. Nothing much was left there! After that we went back to the hotel to rest before the night ride comes.

No comments:

Post a Comment