Search This Blog

Sunday, November 10, 2013

Penang FUN FUN Ride. Episode 2.






After the hard ride on the first day, I was a bit doubtful on today's ride. After all, most rides to dam areas are uphill. Anyway, we had a good dinner last night but I didn't sleep well. Probably, I can't sleep good unless in my own bed.

Again at 5.30am the alarm sounded. Lilian was the first one up and she changed and then it was my turn. Then Lip and then Penny and last one up was Clement. I made it early because I wanted a proper breakfast but the intended spot (Hutton Lane Koay Teow Th'ng) was not opened yet. Disappointed, I drove around and then decided on Agyrll Road Roti Chanai. The shop has shifted to a shop lot. It was in a shack under a tree the last time I saw. Although opened early, the roti chanai was a disappointment. They don't make it like last time anymore.

Not as good as it used to be!


After that we drove straight to Teluk Bahang and it rained quite heavily on the way there. We were at the appointed place and it was still raining. The appointed time was 7.45am but it was still raining. I was expecting the ride to be called off and Larry called that they are on the way from the MacDonalds in Bt. Feringghi. So, we waited at a bus stop. We don't want to wait in a stuffy car.

Waiting for our guide.


Larry arrived first and gave us a hearty and joyful greetings! There's never a moment where we don't smile with him around. Slowly the other riders trickled in and by the time we start, it was already 9.00am. We were introduced to the other riders and off we went. The rain stopped at 9.00am as Larry has predicted.

Clement trying out Larry's bike.


A 5 minute ride and we saw the dam already. I thought we were riding to the dam only and I expected it to be an easy sightseeing ride. It was a short climb to the dam area and we took a group shot here. Then there was discussion of riding to '800'. I wondered what that was??? As usual me and Lilian was the last two. I took my time winding up the road, passing durian orchards and many other farms. Must be nice riding here during the durian seasons. Just like KKB dam, this dam is quite recent and a new road was built and the old road was submerged! You can see an isolated temple on top of a hill over the lake. The access was flooded and I honestly don't know if there's another access.

A mere turn, we can see the dam already!


After some climbing, I now know what '800' is about. It's a signboard located on the pinnacle of the climb. We all regrouped here and Mako cautioned us about a dangerous bend where one rider flew over the armco barrier! The road was still wet and Lilian and me decided to take the slope slow. It was a long downhill and I thought this is going to be a short ride. Later I saw Titi Kerawang Waterfalls. Then I saw Balik Pulau signboard. Dang! We are back to where we were yesterday. The downhill stopped at the foothills of the mountain, a place called Sg. Pinang. There was a few pre-war shop houses here and we all took our meal here. I felt bloated after the roti chanai and Larry was so kind to cycle somewhere to buy some 'Ban Chang Koay' or pancakes. They were nice!



We passed Titi Kerawang as well.

We were just 6 km from where we came yesterday but coming from the other side. After the meal, we visited a nutmeg factory where the owner was quite a resourceful man. You can eat as much as you want here, no obligations and he explained every details of the nutmeg industry. We bought some produce here and since Clement has a rear carrier and bag, the task of carrying it goes to him. We won't argue with him for that!

Our transport man!


I was like strolling with Lilian. We took our time and we had lots of warm up yesterday. The ride up was made to look easier compared to yesterday's ride. Luckily for us, this ride was breathtaking and also relaxing. The faster riders were already gone when we reached the '800'. From '800' onward was all downhill again. Some parts was still wet and I reminded Lilian to take it easy. There was another short climb just before the dam and it was starting to get hot after this.

Waiting for 2 turtles to arrive.


We finally reached our cars and some smiles and laughs. We then folded our bikes and rushed back to out hotel to check out and also to take a bath. We made a date with Larry and Winnie for lunch.

Later we went for lunch at a food court in Cecil St. Ghaut. The selection was wide with every kind of Penang hawkers fare available under one roof. The place was busy though. The 'Koay Teow Th'ng' was even better than the one in Hutton Lane. We went to one bike shop in Times Square and then Larry guided us to the way to the bridge after saying our goodbyes. I like to thank Larry for this fantastic ride today and he was the perfect host! My salute to Larry.

Our lunch venue!





No comments:

Post a Comment