Search This Blog

Sunday, November 10, 2013

Trying The Impossible!


A happy group of riders who still don't know what's to come later!

Much have been said about the ride beyond Genting Perez (GP) and also I have heard many stories of riders hitching a ride back after reaching the small township of Titi. Quite frankly, it was this reason also why I have been avoiding the route after Genting Perez although I have been doing Genting Perez quite often.

We were having a drink one fine day and was discussing on the next riding venue when Clement brought up Titi. Seems he was also quite curious about the place too. We were supposed to ride Broga to Seremban but William was not happy with the traffic from Mantin to Seremban. So, I decided to go with Clement's plan. We hit Titi this weekend.

We arrived at the Hulu Langat 18th usual place to park and I saw Zol's van parked there. A call revealed that he was at one of the eating shops. Lilian and me rode and joined him for breakfast. Nothing much, just a pack of 'nasi lemak' and 2 pieces of curry puffs. Lilian had the same too.

After breakfast, we rode to the meeting point and all the riders were there already. After they set up, we moved out. The ride here is quite routine to us, at least until GP that is. It was raining now but we know we are going to do far today so the rain didn't bother us. We know by the time we finish, our clothes will dry out too. The rain got heavier and I see a lot of other cyclist returning back. The rain stopped when we were taking a breather at the Semenyih junction. We headed straight up to GP from there on. Another rider Alles Nai have never done rides like such. This was his first hilly ride. This is also his chance to test his Tern Ninja X20 to see if the money paid is worthy.

Reaching the first checkpoint.

Like usual, me and Lilian was the last to reach GP. This time I took longer than usual because the route is going to be further and I rode easy using the lower gears. They were already raring to carry on when Lilian and myself reached the peak. This is the first peak and there are two more, SO I THOUGHT !

We can still play the fool here!

We all zoomed down from GP and suprise, suprise, the descending stopped as soon as I hit my brakes! It was climbing again! I thought we were going down all the way. Aah! no matter, we just rode on and climb and climb and Zol turn back a few times to check on me and Lilian, us being a slow climber. We reach another peak as I saw a telecom tower which usually are sited at the peak of most hills. Nope! it was not to be, it was still uphill and we pass by a construction site where they were prepping up a slope. A group of construction workers cheered us on and asked us where we were heading. Zol anwered, " Kayuh ke Titi ". The workers eyes widened and they muttered among themselves.

The ride was like a stroll to them!

So, we reached the peak and zoomed down again and again the descent was short. Again we have to climb and then another peak and the same we descend and again we reached another peak until we were like climbing to about 6 peaks! We regrouped and Zol instructed the riders that after the bridge, carry on straight. Before he can finish his sentence, the riders were already zooming down the slope. Me and Lilian was also descending fast, hitting 52 km/h at some spot. While they were 'yippying' down, the thought of coming back was haunting me! This time the descent was long and fast.

The front pack Clement, Penny, William and Lip was long gone(even Alles Nai) when we reached the bridge. We were tired already but we still need to reach Titi. We passed by a few governmental rehabilitation centers and one weird sounding University Malaya's facilities. We passed by a cane factory, lots of canes inside the premises. I was dehydrated, tired and finally I saw the signboard!

I am soooo happy to see the signboard!

Just before turning into the road, I spotted a few folding bikes parked beside a small makeshift eatery at the junction. Then the bikes became familiar and the front group was there. We joined them and when I sat on the chair, I saw some pathetic looking riders, hahaha. Most of us were beat up! I called for drinks and also had some simple lunch. The main topic at the table, " How are we going to manage riding back?" A few policemen who came for lunch also joined in the conversation. Still we were laughing and joking so I guess we are all still all right.

Anything taste good at this juncture!

After resting, we went checking out the small town and I am curious about the local 'kueh' here. The town is so small, we had no problem finding it. The 'kueh' seller ask us if we can make it back. He said many, many riders has failed and hitched a ride or took the bus back! He must have seen a lot. Some bought and Lilian bought mineral water to refill our water bottles. Zol took us to the back of a temple to ease ourselves before the arduous journey back. We rode out back to the junction, bade 'goodbye' to the three policemen at the stall and headed back.

The famous local delicacy.

We were riding on the same route as we rode in before. First was the prison, then UM's facility and then the cane factory and finally the bridge. It was HOT! The sun was taking a toll on us. After a rest, a long rest actually we finally cross the bridge and hit the slopes AGAIN! Hitting the fresh slope when we are already DEAD tired is a real mental challenge!

The journey back up to GP was a MONOTONOUS GRIND up. You keep grinding the cranks and you can even do it without looking at the front. Lilian and me have to shut out our thoughts and just crank up. Along the way, I broke my chain. I probably need chainsaw chain on my bike. It happens to me so often! Again I lose 2 links again. My hands were all black fiddling with the chain but Lilian and Zol was enjoying the rest though.

The junction just before the bridge. Up! Up! and away!

On the way, Zol was saying," Nak sampai dah, 2 km je! (Almost there, just another 2km) ". I retorted back, " Tak caya lah ". It was almost 2 hours since the bridge and finally Lilian dismounted and wanted to push. Just as she started pushing Zol came riding down and hollered to her to mount back again. He said GP is just after this climb another 500 meters ahead. So, Lilian mounted on her Boardwalk again and started to pedal. Just as Zol said, GP was just ahead. The rest of the gang was there. They were all so happy to reached back. AND SO WERE WE!  We rested for a moment as the rest of the way was friendly territory, a routine to us!

I was telling Lilian that I will not pedal until the 'orang asli' houses and going to coast down leisurely. I want to rest my legs. She said she will do the same too, which I doubt as she can't restrain herself zooming downhill. So we did and all of us were zooming down and Lip and William was waiting at the junction when Lilian hollered, " GO, GO, GO! " and zoomed past. They mounted and followed her. Lilian never stop here as stopping here breaks the downhill momentum and she likes to continue on the fast descent.

Meanwhile me and Zol was at the rear leisurely coasting down and said to Zol, " Satu hari penuh dah berkayuh ". ( Cycled a full day ). He grinned and replied, " PUAS ". (Satisfied). At the kampong flats, all riders were in crazy mode. Zol was suprised that we were ALL doing 28 km/h averagely and at one point Clement was doing 35 km/h chasing after his wife! It went on till the Hulu Langat town. The constant uphill grinding must have made our muscles used to the hard pedaling. 

Barley, barley barley!

Finally, we headed back to the usual watering hole for after rides. Barley, ice cold barley water! The lady boss was suprised there were riders coming this late! She asked where did we go, hahaha. It was almost 4.00 pm already! We rested and drank many bottles of the barley water before we headed back to our cars. The ride was torturous and mentally challenging, I must say but it was EPIC. Even more so that we did it on our folding bikes!

Most riders in Hulu Langat knows this mascot.

No comments:

Post a Comment