Search This Blog

Sunday, November 10, 2013

Penang Fun Ride with Fellow Riders. Episode 1.



Feeling good at Jalan Tun Sardon highest point.

Clement suggested Penang ride out of the blue! I was OK with it as I need a holiday too, so I thought, 'a holiday'.

After much deciding, we choose 9th and 10th as the ride dates. We also planned to drive down after finding out that the sleeping berth to Penang was full on KTM. Was supposed to be in 3 cars but William had to back out due to personal reasons and this was a bane to him. Much of it later.

We then decided to go in 2 cars with Clement and Penny going in Lip's car while I and Lilian in my own. I was actually planning to drive at 2.00am and drive straight to regroup with Clement but later changed the plan again. I left earlier at 7.00pm but the horrendous jam in KL mde me reached the Damansara toll at 8.15pm. Anyway, I was still an hour earlier than the other.

Along the way, I had a call from Hotel 1926, reconfirming the room for 6 which I thought has been given away as I was supposed to check in at 3.00pm. I told them to hold on and informed Clement that the room in 1926 is still on. Much later at 12 midnight I have already parked my car at the hotel. Lilian and me then went next few doors to have a meal while waiting for them to arrive. They came, eat, chat and then we checked in. We all slept at 3.00am and our ride is at 7.00am.

Preparing the bikes in a haste as we were late!

At 5.30am the alarm sounded! I asked Clement if we can skip the ride! Hahahaha. So, we struggled up and struggled again to stay awake! Cleaned up and drove to Queensbay, had a light breakfast on the way. I was in Pantai Jerejak when Winson called and I did a wrong turn and ended up somewhere else. Anyway, we managed to get to the right spot but we were late!

NCIS Penang!  Never Come In Suspenders. Always in cycling shorts!

Here we met Winson, Francis, Tan and Larry (the yellowman) and with 5 of us, that makes 9 riders. We were taken to the cycling lane along the coast there and I was impressed that the state government did something like that. Wonder if the Federal Government is going to compel the other states to follow suit.

The cycling lane.

From there on wards, we followed Winson and rode along the coastal way and saw the collapsed part of the second bridge. It forced us do a long detour around the site and then to Batu Maung. So much has changed since I was in Penang. This used to be a pig farming area and it's now all urbanized! From Batu Maung we headed to Teluk Kumbar and we turned into Gertak Sanggul. Here we see a lot of other cyclist but mountain bikers mostly.

We were actually some fox in lamb's clothings! We were riding very slowly which made the Penang riders ride slow too. After some mountain bikers started to tease us and all hell broke loose. I started to chase after the mtbers and then the others started to fly up the slopes there. Larry was riding fast too. Then with all the formality away, we know each other's strength!

We had drinks here in Gertak Sanggul.

After a beach ride, I was dissapointed that we can't do the farmer's trail to Pulau Betong and anyway we rode on to Balik Pulau. We were near Puspakom in Teluk Kumbar when Clement and Penny was missing. Larry did an about turn and check out the problem. I was actually a bit worried though and a few frantic calls went unanswered. After a while, Penny called and explained that Clement had a flat! I was relieved after getting the news.

The ride after Gertak Sanggul.

I waited for quite sometime and by then it was just me and Lilian at the Puspakom. Winson, Tan and Francis went ahead first. Then I called Lip and informed him that I will go uphill first. Lilian and me rode to the new elevated road which replaced the old roads to Balik Pulau. I think the old roads are much better. I remembered passing under nets tied to the durian trees to catch falling durians in the old days. The view though was spectacular from the elevated road. We rode to the highest point of the road but there was no sign of the front 3 riders. I choose a shady spot and waited there.

On the elevated road.

It was a while before they arrived and it seems Clement's tires was not sitting well on the rims. He trundled down slowly to Balik Pulau and it started to rain heavily when we were at the Petronas station. We bypassed Pulau Betong for today and knowing myself, it won't be long for me to do another trip to ride there. As guided, we were at the Balik Pulau new market in a short while. We had a long rest there and had some local food. The nutmeg juice was heavenly! This is something we don't get in KL.

Nutmeg juice with Assam Laksa.


During the meal here is where 'another cari pasal thingee'  grew. Hahaha. I was talking to Larry and said we are already half way going round the island. 

Wong   : " How about taking a full round?"
Larry    : " Your car is parked in Queensbay".
Wong   : " Either way, we are going to ride another 40 km".
Larry    : " You can go another way".
Wong   : " You mean Jalan Tun Sardon".
Larry    : " You know the road, it's like this (showing an upright palm), you 
                need to push at some parts ".
Wong   : " So, we push lorr! "

So, it was decided! We used the steepest road back to Queensbay. Winson glared at Larry for instigating while Larry denied it as he said I know about the road. Hahaha. Somehow or rather the challenge came up except for Tan who resides in Balik Pulau, all decided to ride Jalan Tun Sardon.

Early onto the road, just as we were riding up, I saw Lilian did not used her lowest gear. I told her to move up and she said the gears are not in tune. I adamantly called her to shift up as she was slow! The moment she did that, her chain broke! Then she screamed at me. Slowly she pushed her bike to a shade while I picked up the chain. I rejoined her chain and continued. At least she can use her lowest gear now. Slowly but surely we grinded up, up and up! This was even steeper than Genting Perez! We finally regrouped at the lookout point and I can see happy faces of achievement. I gulped down a bottle of orange juice and I never thought that orange juice tasted thas good!

A deserving breather.

We took our time and rested and check out each other's bikes. Compliment must be given to Winson and Tan as they too managed to ride up without pushing. Needless to say for Larry, he looks athletic and he is so! Tan and Larry cautioned us about the junction in Paya Terubong. I stressed hard again on that particular junction as I know about that too. It was downhill all the way, we passed the junction and then finally I breathed a sigh of relief. " No more hills" I thought to myself. Then they took us into Bukit Jambul and then another few rounds of slopes! I thought they were going straight to Relau where there are no slopes. After the slopes in Bukit Jambul and then Lip Sin Garden and we parted with Tan who stays around here. Larry was no where in sight! Winson then guided us back to Queensbay. The sun was really hitting our backs now.

We reached our cars and I did a 'hi 5' with Winson for a great ride. I also thanked Winson for taking the trouble to organize this ride for us. Also many thanks to Larry, Francis and Tan. Larry came over and wished us goodbyes but before that, "See you tomorrow morning". Tomorrow I will be joining Larry and band of merry riders to Teluk Bahang Dam. Check that out in Episode 2!

1 comment:

  1. Tasteful and breathtaking blog ! Thanks again for the joy rides!
    See you all in joining future KL rides.

    ReplyDelete